Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Mmmm...Cabbage

I have to admit that cabbage has always been one of those vegetables I know I'm supposed to like, but have never quite enjoyed. In my world it has always been a side dish, generally boiled to a pale green mush and slapped alongside some meat, or mixed with ridiculous amounts of mayo and sugar and once again slapped alongside some meat. Boy how things have changed.
While Jamie was preparing this mayo free slaw recipe my hand kept reaching in and grabbing handfuls of delicious raw cabbage. Once more, CSA membership has re-introduced me to my food. The crunch and depth of flavor contained in each bite of the cabbage was phenomenal and invigorating, a sharp pop as the flavor of summer greens was released then followed by a subtle buttery aftertaste. Thank you Driftless! I think there is a new candidate for my vegetable garden next year.
Here is the recipe we made from such good food stock (the peppers came from our garden, everything else from Driftless), a wonderful summer slaw perfectly suited to life as a man course. Plus it has no mayo so it is great for vegans and summer potlucks. Next time I might add some mustard seeds.

Summer Slaw
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
8 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 large head)
1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, coarsely shredded
3 scallions, chopped
3 radishes (radishii?), thinly sliced

Whisk sugar, vinegar, and oil to blend in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 4 hours, tossing occasionally. Keep refrigerated.

1 comments:

Tanya August 8, 2008 at 8:51 PM  

I heart CSAte, why so long between posts (sigh)?

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP