Sunday, August 3, 2008

Box-seven wrap up

I love the crunchy-sweet green bean. It's one of the few vegetables I'm used to eating fresh off the vine, because my grandma used to grow them. I know they're tasty stir-fried, but they usually don't make it into the pan. What a treat to see them with wacky purple skins:

Patrick kept an open mind about the iceberg lettuce. It's not my favorite, but it does add some crunch. What better way to dress it up than with bacon, tomato, sourdough and mayo?

When Patrick picked up box seven, pickup-site coordinator Julie was like, "What cocktail are you going to make this week?" Here it is: CSA raspberries, vodka and Izze sparkling clementine juice.

Now for my favorite part: fennel-fruit stew. I used the rest of the raspberries, the fennel bulb, stems and leaves, all the not-so fresh fruit I could find in the kitchen (a pear, a peach that was abused in the grocery bag, and an orange), and some frozen strawberries and blueberries. I seasoned it with a cinnamon stick, a few cloves secured in a tea ball, and honey.

I let it stew for like 30 minutes on low heat, then spooned it over cooked wheat berries and added yogurt. It wasn't pretty, but it sure tasted great.

3 comments:

Tanya August 3, 2008 at 12:40 PM  

I want that sandwich (I don't even really like bacon). And I want a chalkboard in my backyard.

Are you thinking about being a pick up site next year?

Morgon Mae August 3, 2008 at 5:25 PM  

Thanks. Pat and I had a BLT-photographing contest and he won.

We've talked about hosting, but I think one of us would have to be home during the day to accept the delivery, so probably not.

Unknown August 3, 2008 at 6:36 PM  

We went to the farmers market Saturday morning and got bacon for some BLT's too!

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP