Friday, August 29, 2008

Curry and pickles?

But not together, not this time.



We had a bunch of veggies hogging up our fridge, and decided to show them who was boss. A can of coconut milk was lurking in the back of the cupboard, and some red curry paste was hanging about, so some kind of Thai style curry would be the end for this loafing produce. CSA Yellow squash, zucchini, onion and red bell pepper all joined in to make things simple and delicious. Good job, if I do say so myself. And I do.



Next on the agenda was more pickles. Dill and pickling cukes were in the CSA, and I wanted to see what kind of pickle those would make on short notice. After deciding to do this without any cooking, I again went the simple salt pickle route. Along with the salt, dill and cucumbers, I threw in some dried chili peppers, mustard seed, sliced garlic and peppercorns.



I let that stand in the pickle press for 24 hours, and then switched it to the refrigerator for another 24. They had a nice mild flavor, and were excellent with a little japanese soy sauce (Koikuchi) and rice.



One last thing. Check out how awesome that CSA heirloom tomato is.



And it was even better to eat.

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP