Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Roasted roots

Once again, I was solo for the weekend but had no problems devouring most of the veggies. Sunday's dinner was perhaps the healthiest meal I've ever eaten: beets, carrots and fresh garlic roasted in olive oil with rosemary, and a red-leaf lettuce salad with cold lentils, wheat berries and sesame dressing.



I did my best to record the color of the beets—they were even richer purple-red than this:



One of then had dramatic stripes:



Let me tell you how I feel about peeling carrots: I'm against it! It means more work for less food, so I don't do it. Here's how the roasted roots turned out after about 40 minutes at 350:



I didn't mince the garlic, just cut each clove in half lengthwise and ate them like veggies. I learned that roasted fresh garlic is mild and sweet with a creamy texture.

2 comments:

Tanya July 24, 2008 at 10:07 AM  

Roasted garlic, spread on crusty bread, yum. You just cut the top off of the bulb and drizzle olive oil over the top-wrap it in tinfoil and roast it in the oven/on the grill.

We walked by some nice lookin' beets at Whole Paycheck last night, but Jon isn't ready to try 'em. Argh. Nice with the stripey one!

Morgon Mae July 24, 2008 at 4:27 PM  

Thanks, T. If you look closely, you can see the water droplets inside that stripey beet.

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP