Sunday, July 13, 2008

Box #5: The way summer used to feel

I used to read Postsecret religiously--every Sunday morning. I've seen many moving postcards there, but the one I most identified with had a faded image of wildflowers next to the same image with fully saturated, vibrant colors. It said, "I miss the way summertime used to feel."

Somewhere in my 20s, I realized I'd been waiting years for summer to really start. For me, something about growing up made it less ... saturated. This is going to sound corny, but I think I got a little of that back Thursday in our box:



Romaine lettuce, scallions, a hoard of peas, uncured garlic, mint, broccoli, fennel and this gorgeous cabbage.



That's evening sun glowing through the outer leaves. I'll ache for this in the winter.

By the time we all got together to divvy up the share, we were feeling pretty lazy. So we ordered a pizza, and the only thing that got eaten that first night was the mint, in cocktails. You can see it in this picture of our boxmates:



Here's a recipe for a cocktail that tastes just like bubblegum:

strawberry vodka
fizzy grapefruit juice
fresh mint leaves

2 comments:

Tanya July 14, 2008 at 2:02 PM  

No way! That's what cabbage used to look like!

Jamie July 17, 2008 at 11:56 AM  

Was that taken after the first or the second cocktail?! hehe, Jamie

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP