Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A really complicated way to eat berries

Last week's strawberries made me want to do something spectacular. Four hours later, standing in a messy kitchen with a counter full of dirty mixing bowls and measuring cups on one of the hottest days yet, I was less inspired. Why couldn't we just eat the berries plain, the way nature intended?

Because then we wouldn't have an olive-oil cake with honey buttercream frosting, blueberry mousse filling and big juicy romantic strawberries on top.



Marcos was kind enough to take these photos last Friday at his and Jamie's place, where they hosted dinner for eight close friends. Aren't we all lucky to have eight close friends?



The mousse filling was too fluffy to support the top layer, so some of it squished out while I was frosting this monster. Next time I fill a cake with mousse, I'll leave time to chill it for a few hours in the fridge between layering and frosting. Once it was cold, this cake was much more architecturally sound.

4 comments:

Anonymous,  July 6, 2008 at 2:08 PM  

Hi! Got the link to your blog through the Driftless newsletter. I'm really enjoying reading your posts- I'm going back and reading all of the ones from previous weeks, but haven't gotten through yet. I'm a Driftless CSA member down in Madison. I'm glad you guys are enjoying your box as much as I am. Josh, Noah and Mike are the best.

Tanya July 6, 2008 at 8:42 PM  

Wow! That is a really solid answer to that silly American Flag Cake everyone makes for the 4th. We made freezer jam from ours (Strawberries + Sugar) and served it on ice cream over the holiday weekend...with blueberries, of course.

I check this page as much as Feministing these days, you're doing a great job!

Unknown July 10, 2008 at 4:29 PM  

Hi! I'm another Driftless CSA member in Minneapolis. Thanks for sharing your ideas; I've been having trouble trying to figure out what to do with all my garlic scapes, too, and you've given some great ideas!

Have you ever tried rimming the edge of your inner cake layer with the frosting from the outside? Someone told me to do that once; it acts as a glue and holds the top and bottom together a bit more so things aren't so slidy... :o) Never tried it, but I might when I try to recreate your masterpiece this weekend. That cake looks too delicious for words!!! Thanks again for sharing (sorry to run on)!

Morgon Mae July 12, 2008 at 12:19 AM  

Thanks everyone.

Glad you found us, Suziko.

Tanya, yeah. My goal was to make a vaguely red, white and blue cake, but the blueberry mousse turned out sort of fuchsia.

Thanks, Laura. I'll take your advice next time. I ended up using a lot of frosting to try to seal it up around the middle as I went--it was a mess. I should have rimmed it first.

If you try this cake, chill the mousse before you layer the cake.

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP