Friday, July 25, 2008

The polyester of greens

So John Waters is on record as calling iceberg lettuce "the polyester of greens," and I have to admit that I myself am something of a broken record when it comes to expounding on the iceberg hate. So it is with this most extreme prejudice that I approached the iceberg lettuce in this weeks CSA, and I have to say that I must relent from my hard line. While not as flavorful as some greens, it was light and crisp, meshing well with some of the arugula and raw broccoli we received. I drizzled olive oil and balsamic vinegar, added some salt and pepper, and it was perfect for a hot summer evening. I don't think I will be buying any iceberg from the co-op in the near future (I am still with my lingering doubts), but I think if done right, iceberg can be a fine thing.

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP