Thursday, June 12, 2008

Our first box



We weren't expecting much after hearing that a flood wiped out 40 percent of Driftless' crops, so I was excited to come home to a bit of broccoli, two bunches of tatsoi, several sprigs of green garlic, a gorgeous blossom-like head of Boston bib lettuce, one kohlrabi, a little pile of small yellow and purple potatoes, and a handful of radishes.



Marcos came for his and Jamie's half of the share, and we divvied everything evenly except the kohlrabi, which Marcos was pumped about and therefore traded their share of the lettuce and broccoli for.



I was excited to eat really fresh lettuce--I've heard it has vitamin E or something. Anyway, we made a salad with about half the lettuce, all our radishes and the broccoli. The radishes were spicy, but it was the broccoli that really blew me away. I hope we get more of this.

I threw my usual fixings on the salad: Annie's shittaki and sesame vinaigerette, sunflower seeds, salt and pepper, but it didn't need all that, and I felt I wasn't really tasting the veggies. Next time, I'm just going to use a little olive oil and a little salt and pepper.



1 comments:

Tanya June 13, 2008 at 9:41 AM  

I'm so proud of you guys! Remember, if you need anything from my garden, I'm about 50% organic for my plants, and feed 'em only organic compost and manure! Yum.

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP